Learn the best ways to treat a sore throat
Pain or itching in the throat is one of the symptoms that can accompany colds, flu, tonsillitis or sore throat, and although it is not a serious symptom, it is an annoying symptom that causes pain when swallowing, which may prevent good sleep, and sore throat usually goes away on its own. The same, the sore throat can be treated and the accompanying pain relieved by using some of the home remedies and recipes that we will learn about in this article.
Sore throat remedies
A few simple habits can help relieve pain and other symptoms associated with a sore throat.
Here are some tips to help treat a sore throat quickly:
- Use a steam bath: Warm steam helps moisten the throat, as well as reduce the viscosity of mucus and open the airways, as dry air on winter days can help increase dryness and sore throats. It is recommended to inhale the steam for several minutes, and herbs such as chamomile or mint leaves can be added to increase its effectiveness, as the essential oils help reduce inflammation.
- Take a warm bath: If the steam is difficult to inhale, you can take a warm bath, as the moisture helps soothe throat irritation and relieve symptoms, and the heat helps reduce mucus stickiness. Fill a bathtub with hot water and a little salt can be added to the water as it helps relieve body aches that can accompany colds.
- Drink ice liquids: Just as ice packs help relieve pain and bruising, eating ice chips helps numb the throat locally and soothe inflammation, and some herbs can be added to ice chips, such as green tea or mint, to increase its effectiveness.
- Avoid acidic fruits: Sore throats can be caused by GERD, and in this case you should avoid acidic fruits such as oranges, tangerines and lemons, as well as soft drinks and fried foods, and avoid eating immediately before bedtime to avoid stomach acid reflux that can increase sore throat.
- Avoid straining the vocal cords: If a sore throat occurs after a period of shouting and chanting, it is likely the result of laryngitis, so resting the vocal cords can help relieve a sore throat, in which case it is preferable not to speak loudly and drink hot drinks.
- Get some rest: Rest and avoidance of stress and causes of stress helps in boosting general immunity and speeding recovery from colds and associated sore throats.
- Eat soft foods: Soups and soft foods make it easier to swallow and don't rub the throat, which can make swelling worse.
- Avoid Sinus Irritants: Sore throat can be one of the symptoms associated with sinusitis, so it is recommended to avoid sinus irritants such as dust, smoke, dirt, etc.
- Elevating the head while sleeping: Sleeping in a fully reclined position can increase throat pain, as sleeping causes mucus to come out into the throat, making swallowing difficult and increasing stomach acid reflux if the patient suffers from GERD.
In addition to difficulty eating, a sore throat can make it difficult to talk and sleep, and a sore throat gets better within about a week without treatment, but the feeling of discomfort can prevent the patient from practicing a normal life, and help Some drinks treat sore throat and relieve the associated pain, and these drinks include:
- Warm lemon: Lemon is one of the natural ingredients useful for sore throat, as it helps dissolve mucus that can accumulate in the throat and respiratory system, and relieves pain, in addition to being rich in vitamin C, which Helps to increase immunity, to fight cold and cold.
- A teaspoon of lemon juice is mixed in a glass of warm water and can be sweetened with honey. It is not recommended to take it if the patient has a stomach ulcer or GERD.
- Clove tea: Clove has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which helps treat sore throats, and it also has an anesthetic effect that helps relieve pain.
- Add 4-5 cloves (preferably crushed to extract the essential oils) to a cup of hot water, cover for 2 minutes and can be sweetened with honey.
- Green tea: Green tea also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties and is considered an effective herbal remedy for sore throats because it contains catechins, which have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix half a teaspoon of green tea with a cup of hot water, the lid and lemon wedges can be added to increase potency and enhance flavour.
- Chamomile decoction: Chamomile is famous for its sedative properties that help eliminate insomnia, and it is a natural pain reliever that helps reduce sore throat, and if the voice is hoarse, eating chamomile decoction can help treat inflammation of the vocal cords and larynx.
- Add 1 teaspoon of chamomile to a cup of boiling water, cover for 2 minutes, and can be taken alone or with mint leaves or lemon slices.
- Decoction of mint: The menthol content in mint helps to clear the throat thanks to its antibacterial properties. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory. It also helps relieve the pain associated with sore throats. Peppermint also helps reduce mucus stickiness. and soothe a cough.
- Add a few fresh mint leaves to hot water, and half a teaspoon of dried mint can also be used.
- Boiled turmeric: Turmeric is a powerful herb that has immune-stimulating and anti-inflammatory properties, and it can be incorporated into the diet in more than one way, and it is preferable to take it as a hot drink to treat a sore throat, since it is exposed to heat. It helps relieve pain, relieve itching, reduce the viscosity of mucus and dissolve it.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric to a cup of hot water sweetened with honey, and it should not be taken in large quantities during pregnancy.
- Fenugreek decoction: It has many health benefits. Fenugreek decoction helps treat sore throats, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It also reduces irritation of the membranes lining the throat.
- A teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water, sweeten it with honey and drink it lukewarm. It is not recommended for pregnant women.
The recipes and tips above can help treat sore throat and relieve symptoms, but if the sore throat lasts for more than a week and is accompanied by a high temperature, or tremor, or in the case of diseases such as diabetes, or weak immunity of the patient, you should consult a doctor to prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Consultation can also be requested from the Adam Pharmacy website, where the consultation is provided by a specialized clinical pharmacist, and you can request treatment online without the need to go to the pharmacy headquarters.