Iron pills: indications and recommended dosage
Iron pills are usually dispensed by the direct doctor of the case as required by the patient's condition, due to the great importance of these pills in many pathological cases that we will address with you in the following paragraphs.
The importance of iron for the body The body
needs iron in particular to perform many important vital functions, the most important of which are:
- The daily production of sufficient quantities of red blood cells, which carry oxygen to all parts of the body.
- Iron plays an important role in converting various nutrients into energy and in maintaining healthy neurotransmitters and neuromuscular coordination in the body.
- So some people may need to take iron pills to make up for the iron deficiency, if it is present.
Indications for the use of iron pills A
- person's feeling of abnormal fatigue.
- hard breathing .
- The emergence of some learning problems for young and old.
- There is a higher chance of getting any infection.
- Palpitations and pallor of the skin.
- Restless legs.
Benefits of iron pills for anemia Iron
benefit pills from cases of anemia in the following:
- Improving cases of anemia associated with some chronic diseases.
- Many chronic diseases can cause anemia, such as: cancer, kidney problems, and heart problems.
- So taking iron with other medications helps build red blood cells and improve anemia. For this group of people who have chronic problems, or cancer patients who are undergoing chemotherapy, receiving iron intravenously is more effective than taking supplements by mouth. Oral route.
- Improving Anemic Conditions: Anemia may also occur due to the presence of several factors; Such as following a low-iron diet, and blood loss in women during menstruation, in which case the symptoms of iron deficiency anemia can be improved by eating foods high in iron, in addition to the oral supplements he prescribes the doctor.
is an essential component of a type of enzyme that helps hair grow, and low levels in the body may prevent hair follicle cells from regenerating.
Therefore, the doctor may recommend taking iron tablets to compensate for the lack of blood in cases of weak blood associated with iron deficiency, which may be accompanied by hair loss.
Benefits of iron pills for the skin
Iron helps activate B vitamins in the body and enhance the glow and freshness of the skin, so it is recommended to get enough iron and eat foods rich in it.
Benefits of Iron Pills for the Brain Iron
supplements may improve short-term memory significantly, and positively affect psychometric test scores and attention.
It was found that iron supplementation positively affects cognitive and psychomotor outcomes in infants and children with anemia, when taken for at least two months.
Benefits of iron pills for the heart Iron
supplementation was shown to have no effect on heart failure patients, while intravenous iron therapy To improve exercise capacity, quality of life, and reduce symptoms of heart failure.
Benefits of iron pills to calm the legs
Taking iron by mouth may help relieve the symptoms of restless legs syndrome, such as: restless legs, and sleep problems, so it is recommended to use iron to improve the symptoms of this syndrome that is accompanied by low levels of iron.
Benefits of iron pills for athletic performance
Iron plays a key role in metabolic processes, and the formation of proteins responsible for delivering oxygen to the cells of the body, such as hemoglobin, which is found in red blood cells, to transport oxygen from the lungs to body tissues, and myoglobin, which is found inside the muscles, which is responsible about transporting and storing oxygen inside it.
Benefits of iron pills for esophageal cancer
The use of iron supplements may be associated with a reduced risk of esophageal cancer
Benefits of iron pills for fatigue Iron
may help relieve unexplained tiredness in men or women, as iron deficiency may lead to low energy levels and fatigue associated with an inability to perform activities and routines daily, so eating iron-rich foods or taking supplements can help. Iron raises iron levels and relieves tiredness and fatigue.
Benefits of iron pills for pregnant
women women usually need double amounts of iron during pregnancy, especially for the growth of the fetus, and low iron in the blood of a pregnant woman can increase the risk of premature birth, or the possibility of having a baby with a low birth weight; That is, it weighs less than 2.5 kg.
Premature birth of fetuses is one of the most common causes of infant death, and low birth weight is one of the reasons that expose them to many health problems.
Or related to growth, starting from birth and during childhood, so doctors advise women during pregnancy to take adequate amounts of iron supplements daily.
That's about 27 milligrams per day after consulting a doctor, taking care to get tested for iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy and after birth at 4 to 6 weeks of age.
A pregnant woman’s need for iron increases during pregnancy for several reasons, including: the amount of blood in her body doubles, and its increase reaches 50% more than the usual percentage, and to ensure the normal growth of both. The fetus and placenta in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, in addition to this, iron stores in women in the early stages of pregnancy are usually low, so they must be compensated, and they need iron to avoid any problems during or after childbirth.
Such as: the difficulty of childbirth, or the birth of children with low birth weight, in addition to the possibility of their death after birth. directly .
Taking iron supplements during pregnancy may reduce the risk of anemia caused by low levels of iron in the body.
Iron benefits for children
Among the benefits that a child may get from iron pills include:
- Reducing episodes of apnea in children: It was found that iron deficiency anemia can play a role in the occurrence of episodes of apnea in children, and the treatment of anemia may Helping reduce the number of these seizures
- improves attention in children with ADHD.
- Iron deficiency in children can cause ADHD, and taking an iron supplement of 80 mg per day has been found to improve ADHD symptoms in children with ADHD.
- Decreased levels of ferritin in the blood, according to a study published in the Journal of Pediatric Neurology in 2008, which was conducted on a group of children for 12 weeks, and indicated the need for large-scale studies on this benefit.
Directions of use
You should take Iron Supplements on empty stomach with orange/lemon juice or with vitamin c effervescent whenever possible, but if you can't tolerate it you can certainly take it after meals.